Program for Democracy & Civil Society
We are committed to a diverse, tolerant and democratic society in Iraq. To help us achieve these goals, we teach students about human rights, organize dialogue events and support networks of young people who are committed to peace and democracy in their country.
Overcoming Boundaries Through Dialogue
Iraq is a diverse country with people of many different ethnicities and faiths. Decades of war, terror and persecution have made the population increasingly distrustful.
Members of the Yazidi community in particular feel abandoned by their neighbors and the government after being suppressed by ISIS. There are also tensions between members of the Arab and Kurdish, the Sunni and Shiite, as well as the Muslim and non-Muslim communities.
The Youth Network for Peace and Dialogue
Mistrust and prejudice are also widespread among young people in Iraq. They grow up in environments that are characterized by enemy images. Their strongly divided society offers them few opportunities to meet young people from other sections of the population and form their own opinion.
- We support a youth network in Iraq, where young people from different societal groups work for peace and dialogue. In pursuit of this:
- We organize regular seminars on political and social topics in which the participants can actively participate.
- We create sheltered spaces in which encounters are characterized by listening and respect.
- We encourage participants to become active in their own communities and implement small projects.
- We promote exchanges with youth groups in other parts of the world.
Human Rights Education in Schools, Camps & Orphanages
Children and young people are the leaders of tomorrow. In order to prepare them for a free, equal and non-violent future we provide human rights education in local schools. The program aims to help children in Iraq become strong and considerate individuals who treat one another with respect, and understand their rights and responsibilities as individuals in society. We aim to support children and adolescents by:
- Raising awareness of fundamental rights and ways of enforcing them to protect themselves against attacks
- Teaching methods to deal with anger and aggression
- Promoting friendships and networking
- Campaigning for non-discriminatory, and equal opportunities for women and girls
Support this program
Head of Democracy & Civil Society